Virgin Islands Travel Guide, Part 2

Earlier this week, I shared Part one in my mini travel guide for the Virgin Islands. And today I'chiliad sharing Part two, which covers St John, Virgin Gorda, Norman Island, and Jost Van Dyke. Let'southward become to it…

First upwards is St John.

Nosotros collection our rental car onto a ferry from Ruddy Claw in St Thomas, which took us over to St John. We ate a quick bite at a little dive bar not far from the ferry terminal. There was a hot dog 'cheers' involved. Then, we jumped dorsum in the car and then we could get to the embankment.

The beaches seem to be well marked in St John – plenty of signs, and so nosotros didn't need a map. And we basically simply kept driving until we hit Trunk Bay. There are a lot of footling scenic stops to jump out of the car and accept a few photos. I know it seems totally touristy, and it is, merely the views were too pretty non to stop for a couple of photo opps.

Travel by Ferry to St John

View from Trunk Bay, St John

Turquoise Waters in Trunk Bay, St John

The Beach at Trunk Bay

Trunk Bay, St John

On Instagram, I posted this photo of me at Lindquist Beach, which I mentioned was the 2nd near beautiful beach I had e'er been to. A couple of people asked what my #1 pick was. Body Bay is my fave. Which is where all of the photos above were taken (minus the ane of the houses on the cliff – that was the view from the ferry on the way to St John).

I stayed in the h2o nearly the entire time at Trunk Bay and it didn't start to go crowded until late in the day. And even so it wasn't that bad.

There was as well a small outdoor store for snorkeling equipment, sunscreen, etc right past the embankment, and a food stand where yous could get lunch, drinks, and water ice cream. You know I like ice cream, right?

On our way out of St John nosotros thought about hit up a couple of other beaches (in that location are several right in a row), only we couldn't notice a place to park so nosotros high-tailed it dorsum to the ferry earlier it got dark.

Norman Island

Norman Island, Virgin Islands

Nosotros did a little snorkeling at Norman Island, which was the spot that inspired Robert Louis Stevenson's bookTreasure Island. We swam inside the caves and explored the reefs a lilliputian. Honestly, though, snorkeling freaks me out a little chip, so we didn't stay in the water long. If you like snorkeling, you lot should definitely check out this spot though.

Jost Van Dyke was ane of the last beaches nosotros visited on our trip. I didn't get any pictures of it because I was pretty over taking photos at that point. So no photos. Simply I wanted to share our experience there anyhow.

Several people told united states of america that Jost Van Dyke has the prettiest beaches in all of the Virgin Islands, only I'm going to take to disagree with them on this i. We may have been in the wrong area, but this was by far the near crowded beach that we went to. Information technology felt like what I imagine Lake Havasu to be like on spring break – filled with boats and a whole lot of drunk people. So, while I'm sure information technology's crawly for some people, it wasn't our favorite. Do I sound like an old lady, or what?

Virgin Gorda

Swimming at Virgin Gorda

The Baths, Virgin Gorda

That brings me to Virgin Gorda. We stopped at The Baths on a gunkhole bout and walked around for a while (and took pictures) before pond back to the gunkhole. The Baths are geological formations of big boulders and granite grottos that you can walk and swim through. Definitely worth checking out – I institute it to be pretty memorable even though we weren't there long.

Side Note: The boat that we took to Virgin Gorda anchored a GOOD swim abroad from country. Only I really wanted to get photos, and then I put my camera (my 7D, not my iPhone) into a water resistant bag and held it out of the water, while I swam to shore with one arm. I am 100% certain I looked like a total idiot and it was actually really tough to swim that far with one hand in semi-choppy water. But hey, I did get three pictures out of it, so I guess information technology was worth it, right?

So that was our trip to the Virgin Islands. If you fabricated it this far, you are a trooper…and deserve a small bouquet of flowers or block for your efforts. That was a lot of photos.

Read Part I in the travel guide to St Thomas.